Maui Report

From: zeev_gur@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis
Date: Tue May 25 1999 - 17:48:28 PDT

From: zeev_gur@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@jr.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Cc: joani.g.gur@ac.com-DeleteThis, "Erik Eiseman" <eeiseman@worldnet.att.net-DeleteThis>, michael_imperiale@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis, karen_rist@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis, kami_semick@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis, glenn_wada@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis, marc_tindall@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis, cliff_e._dycus@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis
Date: Tue, 25 May 1999 17:48:28 -0700
Subject: Maui Report

Got back yesterday from a 10 day Maui vacation. The coral
rash on my knee has almost healed and my mind is almost
back to "mainland" pace. Wanted to share some highlights
of our trip.

The sailing: it was awesome. Plenty of wind, almost too much
at times, and lots of waves. Average sail size for me was 4.7
(210#). Had one day on a 5.7. The waves were great. My best
wave session was at uppers in Kanaha: shoulder to logo size waves,
10 people out, 4.7 wind, long peeling rides, crazy jumps on the way out....
The waves at lowers were the ego verity: knee high, well spaced,
not crowded. Great for nailing those off the lips, jumps, etc. It must
be amazing to live in a place where you can sail the waves without
having to wear rubber nor drive over 1 hour to get to the waves.....A lot
of VERY good sailors. People throwing push loops like they are going
out of style. One dude was sailing down wind from me at uppers. We
hit a wave and start to ascend to the blue heavens. At the apex of his jump
he looks at me and throws me a shaka (\m/) with his front hand and
goes into a sweet forward which he lands planing. stud. As he planes
away I complete my water start.......I bailed on the scary big ass jump
in mid air, the same point where he decided to throw the forward (ok,
not the same point, much lower then him)

The water: If you have been to Maui, you know how amazing it truly
is. The color will blow your mind. The clarity will move you. The
temperature will make you think you died and went to heaven. Sailing
without a wetsuit elevates the experience a few notches. Sailing waves
on small gear/wave board with no wetsuit is truly moving/motivational.
Saw a lot of turtles and fish while sailing the waves at Sprecks and
Kanaha. No whales. You wanna see the water? check out
http://windcam.com/index.html ooohhh, I wish I was there......

The gear: we rented from HI, check em out at
http://www.maui.net/hisurf/index.html
The service was very good. They were fair and kind. On no sail
days, all we had to do was call them and we go credit for the day.
They have a ton of gear, all of it in great shape. I checked out
the following boards:

Naish 8'11" convertible/freeride: very similar to my 8'8" Enduro, with
a bit less rocker and more slalom orientation. Scary fast board. Surfs
pretty OK for a board of this shape, almost too fast on the face of the wave.
Jibes on a dime - both short and long drawn out ones. Very durable - I
got my white butt onto a reef at Sprecks and the board got hammered
with no visible dings. The sail tore. Jumps like a rocked - pretty wide
tail. Would be a good heavy persons bay board

Naish 8'6" wave: this is the largest of the wave boards. Holly shit is this a
great
stick. It rips the waves to shreds - has waaayyyyy more performance then I
could
wring out of it. I was suprised at how much volume this board has: I was able
to slog it back to shore from lowers after the wind dies w/no problem. Most
8'6"
are total sinkers for me. This board turns on a dime and goes from rail to rail
very fast. Great upwind performance for a wave board. Jumps onto a plane
before
you are completely powered up. On my first jibe I was blown away at how fast
the board came around - kind of caught me off guard. If I had an extra $1,500
laying around......

Naish 8'5" wave: this is a wave machine. It was amazing to me how different
this board was from the 8'6" (smaller, looser). More turny, much better for
wave sailing.
Still went upwind pretty well. Jumped awesome. A sinker for me. I I lived on
Maui
this would probably be my main board.

Mistral Flow 260: Joani sailed this board. We switched on afternoon just for
kicks.
This is a nice board, that planes pretty quick for it's size. Not a slalom nor
a wave
board - a true convertible. This one had a 9.25" wave fin, and was pretty
loose. I took
it up to uppers in 1 tack (vs. two on the wave boards). Jumps great. Jibes
very good.
This sould be a very good bay board for light folks (under 175#). Slogging this
one
was pretty hard for me - I'm guessing it has about 88l of volume. It's a very
easy
and comfortable board, takes no time to dial into it. Very predictable and
controllable
when going pretty darn fast.

The place where we stayed: http://www.maui.net/~qrmaui/ We stayed in the
honeymooner
unit. This was heaven. the sound of the waves fill you place the entire time.
Wake up
to sound of braking waves, go to sleep to the same sound. Wake up late, roll
over, look
out your window at surf/wind, have lazy breakfast, sail until can't move your
arms, have
cold beer..eat great food....you know the cycle. Repeat for many
days......smile!!!! The place
is great as you can leave your stuff rigged on the grassy lawn. Hang out in the
hammock
for lunch.

The food: Mama's fish house rocked (the margaritas were amazing). Hale Male
General store
was very good. Charlies was solid. The Ono burger at the Paia fish market was
awesome.
Charlies was great for breakfast. The Da Kine Margarita's at the Grand Wailea
resort
were wonderful: Picture a small fish bowl filled w/lot's of kind taq....

Highlights of the trip (windsurfing related):
1. Got to see the stars of our sport. Bjorn was in town. The F2 team was
staying at the same complex as us and had all of next years gear being tested,
photographed
(by jet ski and helicopters). Jason Polokow was in town also. Mellow dudes who
are
getting paid to sail - they are living the dream.
2. The wind/waves were amazing.
3. Sailing in Maui with my best freind - my hot wife Joani
4. Joani sailing in the waves!!!!!!!!!!
5. Joani sailing in a biking w/no wetsuit ;-)......

"Wait until tomorow to unpack my bags,
Honey disconnect the phone...I'm back on the USSR....."
                    The fab 4.

Later, Z.