Re: flat water sailing?

From: Ed Scott (edscott@best.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri May 14 1999 - 15:27:22 PDT

Subject: Re: flat water sailing?
Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 15:27:22 -0700
From: Ed Scott <edscott@best.com-DeleteThis>
To: "Wind Talk" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>

>Can anyone recommend places to go around here for flat water sailing? I am
>suffering from a weak ankle and weak board (see previous post), and would
>like to have some place to cruise around and rebuild besides Candlestick
>(esp. on game days!). I am thinking maybe Tomales Bay or Larkspur, but I
>have not been to either. Any comments?

If you are confident in your abilities, and you want Peninsula, Oyster
Point, Genentech or Flying Tigers is the call. It's usually *windier*
there than at Third/Coyote, esp. on west or slightly sw flow, since it's
right in front of the San Bruno gap, and is often better than the Stick
for flat water sailing. Oyster Point has the best rigging area/launch in
the Bay Area right now. Take Oyster Point blvd. east at Levitz in San
Bruno. You go straight for Oyster. Turn right for Genentech and park
behind the Genentech plant in a small parking area designated
"non-employee." That's Pt. San Bruno.

For Oyster, there's a wind shadow I call the donut hole that you have to
traverse right behind Genetech. Once you're outta there about a mile
downwind from Oyster, you hit the high-wind area behind SFO Airport
called Flying Tigers. Flying Tigers has it's own launch upwind in the
cove in that area (end of Haskins in So. SF), but it's a high tide-only
place. It also turns into mud flats at low tide.

Major caveats -
1) This is a high-wind, flat water sailing location. The chop gets no
more than 8"-12" high, at best. Sometimes you need one sail size less at
Tigers than you do at either the Oyster or Genentech launches. Be aware
of this when rigging.

2) The wind is offshore. Know your abilities, and wear a thicker
wetsuit than you think you might need. One sailor perished who launched
from this area in 1996 due to hypothermia, when he became becalmed and
refused help. Thankfully, it you do breakdown or become becalmed it's
fairly easy to paddle up/cross wind because there is no appreciable
current there, and it's flat water. Carry safety gear.

3) It's sometimes dies on the inside at Oyster and Genentech before it
does at Tigers. Go in earlier than you might otherwise, especially if
your slogging skills are not so good. If you milk a session, be prepared
to slog. Maybe use a slightly corkier board.

Have Fun!

-Ed

3)