RE: board repair

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@eng.sun.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri May 14 1999 - 12:33:01 PDT

Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 12:33:01 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jim Paugh <James.Paugh@eng.sun.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: board repair
To: kogelnik@interval.com-DeleteThis
Cc: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>

> For those of you who have had custom boards made how much extra material
> and what kind did you ask for? Did it hold up and was it worth the weight?
> Anyone have stringers put in the heel areas?

I have John Forsyth build bomb proof boards for me and they are definitely
that. He uses full wraps of divinicell. This is important, as a lot of board
makers don't use divinicell over the entire board. He also uses extra layers
of 6oz "S" glass, especially in the foot strap area. And finally, he uses
balsa wood inserts in the heel area. This is a layer of wood that covers the
heel area. I have never, and I mean never, had a soft spot in the heel area of
any of my Forsyths. On average, I keep them for 4 seasons (Captn Ron is still
using my '95 8'10"). All of my boards are bump & jump or wave boards and I
jump the _snot_ out of them, with the occasional flat landing. The weight of
my 8'6" was 14.5lbs, my 8'8" was 15lbs.

When having a custom board built, make sure the builder does what is necessary
for your needs. A custom board does not mean getting to chose what color it
is. Big guys put _way_ more stress on a board and the board needs to be built
up for that.

Call John Forsyth and ask for a "Jim Paugh" construction. He'll know what you
mean! (541) 387-3329.

~Jim
Forsyth Design 8'10" thruster-wave, 8'8" wave, 8'6" bump&jump
Neil Pryde 6.2 Soul/5.8 NR - Ezzy Waves 5.2 - 3.7
Height 6'8", Weight 225Lbs jpaugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis