Snapped fin at Coyote Sunday

From: GMYoung@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon May 10 1999 - 19:24:54 PDT

From: GMYoung@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 22:24:54 EDT
Subject: Snapped fin at Coyote Sunday
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

Sailed Coyote Sunday from 3:30. About 5:30, port tack, more than a mile out
my fin snapped off. A funny feeling--everything going loose, detaching from
the water,losing control and skimming sideways across the surface. I check
the fin and sure enough it's gone except for a piece of the base where the
screw attaches (standard trim box, I think it's called).

It's max flood, blowing 23 wsw. Looking at shore, I can see I'm moving
downwind pretty fast. I take off my harness and wrap it around the back of
the board through the footstraps (I think I read about that technique on this
newsgroup). It works somewhat, but creates so much resistance that I move
slow and keep on getting pitched over. I readjust the harness so just a
small portion sticks in the water. This works much better because I can sail
faster although little difficult to control--I have to steer with small
movements of the sail forward and back. I land pretty far downwind close to
the Marina, walk back, get my van and return for my gear. Glad that it
worked out.

Here's what I learned:

1) The harness quick fix for a lost fin works pretty well, much better than
I had expected.

2) I love my O'Neil Evolution wetsuit. The inner flap keeps water from
flowing in. It's soft and flexible, I don't get as tired moving around.

3) Inspect the fin. I'm pretty sure I must have cracked it before. Also the
metal pin that could have kept it on the board must have sheared or broken.

4) Need to get in better aerobic shape for situations like this. I started
to fatigue near the end.

Glenn