RE: Boom choices

From: Brad James (bjames@exponent.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon May 10 1999 - 14:57:26 PDT

From: Brad James <bjames@exponent.com-DeleteThis>
To: "'wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis'" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: Boom choices
Date: Mon, 10 May 1999 14:57:26 -0700

No question that you are going to have much less of a corrosion issue for
aluminum in fresh water vs. salt water, so I'd say yes, religious fresh
water rinsing of Al booms should extend their life (if you sail in salt
water). The chlorides in saltwater break down the protective oxide film
that Al naturally forms, thereby increasing corrosion rates.

By the way, the big problem with early Fiberspar booms was the aluminum
fitting they used to attach the carbon arms to the head. This Al lug would
corrode and fail. What Fiberspar did was to make the booms more
water-tight, and to beef up the Al lug so that you have lower stresses and
would have to corrode much more material to get to the breaking point.
Their new all-carbon head booms are probably an even better idea.

Brad
(metallurgist at large)