Thur at 3rd

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Apr 30 1999 - 12:37:16 PDT

Date: Fri, 30 Apr 1999 12:37:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Thur at 3rd

============= Thu 29 Apr 99 - 3rd - 4.4/257 (196#)

When we got to 3rd, Robin was in rigging down to her 3.7! This was
hard to believe from the look of the water near shore, but I knew
from Tuesday that her 3.7 was a good match for me on a 4.4, so
I did 4.4, Michael a 3.9.

In a reverse of our usual pattern, Michael had to slog out quite a ways
to get going, but I caught a puff and planed almost from the launch.
"It's just my day," I thought. It was great in the channel from 3:15 to
4:00. Swell was a less than I expected for this wind and the ebb - only
3-4 feet. But still very nice sailing.

About 4:00 Michael was noticing the wind dropping, but I was still okay.
10 or 15 minutes later, I was convinced it was time to rig a bit bigger
but we found that the wind direction had shifted much more westerly
as well. So we took a couple of runs back into the channel to get
further upwind. Bad Idea.

Michael did succeed in sailing in, but I (on my very sinky board) got
becalmed by the channel marker (no further upwind than I started). I
slogged and fell, swam, body-dragged and finally got down to where I could
walk on the sandbar between the channel mark and the bridge. It took
about another hour to walk down to the shore, but with the falling tide,
at least I knew I could just walk there. Met up with Robin halfway down
the bar. Mayor Jay came in the same way another half hour later.

It was good exercise, just not what we had in mind...

"An adventure is only an inconvenience rightly considered.
 An inconvenience is only an adventure wrongly considered."
                                                   -- G. K. Chesterton