Sweet Delta Dawn

From: Zeev_Gur/PeopleSoft@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri Apr 23 1999 - 15:39:03 PDT

From: Zeev_Gur/PeopleSoft@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@jr.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Cc: Michael_Imperiale/PeopleSoft@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis, Glenn_Wada/PeopleSoft@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis, Kami_Semick/PeopleSoft@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis, "Erik Eiseman" <eeiseman@worldnet.att.net-DeleteThis>, Marc_Tindall/PeopleSoft@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis, joani.g.gur@ac.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 15:39:03 -0700
Subject: Sweet Delta Dawn

Went to bed last night in the Oakland hills to the sound of
wind whispering - "come and play...you don't need no stinkin' sleep".
When I woke up and called the windtalker at 4:45am, the avg. wind
was 27NNW - it's always low on n. component winds. Fill up w/coffee
and hit the road.

Got to Windy Cove at 5:30, a bit of light above the horizon, very windy.
Rigged 4.8/8'9" (210#) in front of my headlights. Once more light
came out it was obvious that it was much windier then my kit. Went
w/the smaller set up: 4.3/8'5" w/a small wave fin. The wind was totally
amazing: I was very powered to completely wound on that small
sail. The sunset was surreal - the colors were amazing, the sound
of the eucalyptus trees was hypnotizing, the smell of the water was
great, tons of fish jumping all over the place. The water was fairly
flat until 9am due to the flood just starting. Not one single soul on
the water, very surprising. Sometimes flying solo is good - this was
good, very good.

Stopped for a much needed break at 9am and Joani showed up. The
wind seemed to be backing off a bit so Jo went out on the 4.3 set up.
Sure enough once she was 10 minutes into her session, the fans were
turned on HIGH and she got blasted off the water. She came back to
shore w/a "you fucker, why did you let me go out w/too big a sail" look.
The 3.7 came out: what a tiny sail. It was never used last year.

She was totally powered for an entire hour. What a stud to sail in that
crazy wind. It was amazing to see her totally wound on that tiny hanky.
The swell was starting to build. At 10 I went back out on the 4.3 and
did all I could to hold on. The ramps were beautiful.
The far end of the river had great flat water for screaming
jibes. Really fun to go into a jibe at Mach 4 and come out almost as fast.
Stopped at 10:45, just in time to tear down and get on a conference call
which made the drive to the office fly by.

Amazing how well the workday flows when you start your day with a
raging session. I am so thankful.......nothing left to do but smile, smile
smile ;-)

"When I'm walking by the water
Splish splash me and you takin a bath
When I'm walking by the water