RE: Coyote Threat

From: Stephen Hiley (SHiley@WSGC.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Apr 23 1999 - 14:16:33 PDT

From: Stephen Hiley <SHiley@WSGC.com-DeleteThis>
To: "'wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis'" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: Coyote Threat
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 1999 14:16:33 -0700

As Peter mentioned, this is largely a political process, and the city is, by
demonstration of the granting of such drastic variances, is eager to bring
business and revenue to its district. I think both opinions below have
value. We do want to find a way to limit or eliminate the variances
granted, and the way we may succeed in arguing this case is through the
environmental impact.

Listening to the closing comments of one of the planners in the last
meeting, it sounded like they were not clear of our intentions in being
there. One planner said something like, "Why are you bringing this to us?
We are just the planning committee, and this land is zoned for commercial
use. So what do you expect us to do?" From those comments, I got the
feeling that they did not feel it was their responsibility to consider our
interests at all. After all, what's some lost wind amount to for a city
planner when compared to the gains for the city -- attractive redevelopment
and $$$.

I think it is important that we do not provide the impression that we are
opposed to development all together, as this is not something that would be
considered seriously at all. Instead, make clear that we acknowledge the
developer's rights to build, but would very much like to minimize the extent
that this development impacts the surrounding area (if this is the case).
I think right now, we are being perceived as an annoyance, and what we need
is to show that we are willing to compromise and allow the city to meet its
goals without giving away too much to the developers!

If the wind and parking issues are ignored by the council and the EIR is
pushed through, then yes, lets look at the next best way to reign this
project in. Until then, lets continue to support the efforts underway.