Towed at Candlestick :(

From: Louis-Pascal Tock (lptock2@flash.net-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Apr 21 1999 - 00:29:39 PDT

From: "Louis-Pascal Tock" <lptock2@flash.net-DeleteThis>
To: <wind_talk@jr.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Towed at Candlestick :(
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 1999 00:29:39 -0700

After the golf ball landing on my car on Sunday (3rd av.), I experimented
the no brain attitude from a policeman on Monday!
My company gave me last Monday off so I decided to go to Candlestick to
spend
the afternoon on the water. I arrived there around 2pm, rigged a 6.4 and
was fully powered until around 3:30pm. The wind began to really pick up and
had to rig down to 5.4. I sailed until around 5:30. It was a perfect day!
The current was pretty strong and I didn't make it directly to the landing
area. I had to walk about 15 minutes to go back to the shore to discover
that...
a truck was attaching chains to my car!
So, I let my gear on the water and ran as fast as I could to see what was
happening. A policeman was there and my car was about to be towed.
I explained that I was windsurfing (my big board was on the roof on the car
and sails where filling the inside of my car but I still had to explain that
to him!). I begged him to not do it, and that I was sorry (we're supposed to
say
that, right?). The street was totally empty to give you an idea how my car
was
a danger for the traffic or obstructing the way!
But he smiled at me and I felt that I was making his day by putting me into
so
much trouble.
I managed to get my big board off the roof after screaming a lot. The towing
truck
was ready to leave with my board on the roof, not strapped!
This cop left me like that, without money, id, wearing my windsurfing
clothes,
cold, exhausted for a reason that I still don't understand. They are signs
that the area where we all park to go to windsurf is a 24 hour towed area!
Why are these signs there? What's the problem with parking there to go
to windsurf ... I have problem to understand the world sometimes!
And why he didn't cancel the towing since I was there, ready to move
my car wherever he wanted me to move it!

Hopefully, a guy called Bernie gave me a ride to SF to the police dept.,
where
I was able to get my car back after wasting $153 and puting smiles on the
face of
a lot of people who are not used to see wetsuit, harness and helmet in the
city!
I would like to thank the windsurfers I met at Candlestick who were ready to
help me and especially Bernie who took of his time to get me out of this
nightmare.
By the way, the towing pig scratched my car. Does anyone know who's
responsible
for the dammage?

Also, I think we should come to an agreement with the city to have an access
this area to windsurf. We should have special permits or a parking
for us. Does the SFBA tried to come to such an agreement with the city in
the past?

--Pascal.
p.s. There is some anger in this post but I have nothing against cops. I
wish I
would have faced more understanding ... that's it.