Re: F2 and Naish Boards or Bic

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Tue Mar 30 1999 - 15:30:55 PST

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 1999 18:30:55 EST
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: F2 and Naish Boards or Bic

In a message dated 3/30/99 2:27:35 PM Pacific Standard Time,
prevett@nvidia.com-DeleteThis writes:

> New board requirements:
>
> * 165 lb sailor
> * 5.5m2 to 3.5m2 wind
> * Bay bump/jump and some coast wave sailing; a true high-wind convertible.
>
> The two boards on my short list to demo are the F2 Axxis 261 and the Naish
8'
> 7".
>
> - Anybody have other suggestions for a board that I should put on my short
> list?

I bought a Saxo 264 (85 liters) after demoing it in Maui in October. This is
an all new shape vs. the Saxo 265 and other older small Bics. I was amazed at
how well the 264 went upwind while barely powered. It is heavier than the
Naish or F2, but it is also much less expensive. I diverge from the norm in
that I don't pay $100/pound for lighter boards. On the plus side, the extra
weight translates into greater durability and ease of control in major OP
conditions. The Saxo 264 is above all a super controlable board and for me it
planes up great and jumps very well (I think the tests confirmed this view
although their was some misprint in one of the mags where some of the info
from the Saxo 270 was swapped with the Saxo 264). I have been on the 264 about
8 times since I got it on 4.0, 4.5 and 5.2. It is great across that range. I
think it will do 6.0 well, but I haven't tried it yet. For 3.5 it will
probably be good on a fin significantly smaller than the 30 cm fin included.

I would definitely recommend riding the 264 before deciding. The Saxo 264
lists for $1,199 vs. $1,399 for the F2 and $1,599 for the Naish. If you trust
the board test info, it looks like any of these boards will a blast to ride.

Peter