Fri at 3rd

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Sat Mar 27 1999 - 14:46:07 PST

Date: Sat, 27 Mar 1999 14:46:07 -0800 (PST)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Fri at 3rd

============= Fri 27 Mar 98 - 3rd - 4.4/257 (196#)

Our first time sailing in 6 months! It blew good and hard.

When Michael and I arrived at 3rd around 3:30, people were saying it was
backing off a bit, so we rigged 5.4 for me and 4.9 for Michael (155#).
Mistake.

It took only two reaches to persuade us to rig down, a full meter for
each of us. On 4.4 and 3.9, we were merely way powered. The flooding
channel was no better than inside, so we opted for inside - it felt nice
and safe for a first time of the season.

I was pleased to make some of my jibes, but a winter of sloth has taken
its toll: mostly I didn't have the arm strength to hold onto my sail all
the way through! Michael has been mountain biking all winter, however,
and I don't think he dropped a jibe in 90 minutes of sailing. "I just
don't like to get wet" he says.

We called it a day by 6:00. Lots of smiling faces all around.

" Someone once said that to experience the thrill of sailing one only
needs to go in the shower fully clothed, turn the cold water on, and
start tearing $20 bills.
    To experience the thrill of windsurfing follow the same instructions
with a minor variation: once in a while throw yourself against the wall."
                                        -- Luigi Semenzato