Re: Berkeley Waterfront Plan Meeting

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Sat Mar 13 1999 - 10:07:15 PST

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Sat, 13 Mar 1999 13:07:15 EST
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Berkeley Waterfront Plan Meeting

dfielder@cooper.cpmc.org-DeleteThis writes:

> Final activity to report on was an informal discussion and tour I managed
> to have after workshop with His Lordships VP, John Tallichet (son of the
> owner of His Lords "chain", both live in So. Cal) and that restaurant
> group's regional manager, Mr. Hoss (no local manager at this time, Hoss is
> in charge and was the on-site mgr. during mid-90s, so knows site well).
> Both men attended the workshop and seem interested in WS needs, as well as
> recognizing WS "entertainment value". The launch site tour was in driving
> rain storm, so showed some interest!

I sailed yesterday at Hs Lordships. There was a large metal piece of junk
(maybe a ventilation hood about the size of a dishwasher) placed by the walk
to the launch which blocked about 1/3 of the path just before you start down
the rocks. One guy almost tore his sail on it. After derigging I went to the
restaurant to see if it could be moved. The guy managing ( young guy in 30s)
was initially defensive and said he couldn't do anything about it on a Friday
night. He said the head man doesn't like windsurfers and calls the police
about trespassing to keep windsurfers away. I asked if he knew about the
waterfront planning process or the recognized use of the access for
windsurfing. He said he did not, but the head man didn't like windsurfers
because they have parked in the rear loading area. I suggested that we could
make efforts to spread any concerns they have to the other windsurfers. He
softened up and asked me to show him the problem. He looked at the hood and
said he'd see about getting it moved. This guy was ultimately nice and it
sounds like he is just out of the loop a bit. If there is genuine agitation on
the part of the management, maybe we should offer to include their concerns in
the next SFBA newsletter as a sign of our willingness to work with them. It
will leave us in a stronger position is friction develops down the road.

Peter

because of windsrufing