Re: Airport expansion and Coyote

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri Feb 05 1999 - 14:40:03 PST

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri, 5 Feb 1999 17:40:03 EST
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Airport expansion and Coyote

In a message dated 2/5/99 12:19:56 PM Pacific Standard Time,
poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis writes:

> I took the pictures published in the Murky a few months ago and plotted
> them on my Bay map. The south end of the proposed runway is right on
> the normal sailing path from Coyote, 1.5 or 2 miles out. The runway
> lights (and wind vortices thrown by landing jets) would extend another
> half mile downwind, effectively cutting Coyote off from the channel for
> anyone not on a race board.
>
> Ken Poulton
> poulton@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

I did not realize or remember how extreme the runway expansion plan was (must
have blocked it out). They want to build 4300' out to get seperation between
parallel runways and then moving the new parallel runway east the full length
of the one it replaces so that it extends a 10,000 feet further south when you
include a longer land fill at the bay end. My sketch onto aerial maps agrees
with Ken's conclusions. Coyote would be cut off and even sailing from the
Coyote Marina would probably put you at the lights on a typical reaching
direction. The plans also will impact Oyster Point. One of the plans will
completely box in the Oyster Point launch and leave very limited room between
the runway and shore.

I don't think there is any way the airport expansion plan could be any more
extreme in terms of impact on windsurfing or the environment. They are putting
as much as 25,000 feet of new runway out on new 1000' wide fill. I don't know
if they really want this or if they are asking for the most extreme plans in
order to later get what they want through compromise. I always try to see both
sides, but I'm having trouble seeing the need for 4,300' runway separation. As
I pilot, I know that 750' is way too close but 4,300 is over the top,
especially if planes are lining up on the runway from straight in approaches.

Peter