Re: Coyote Wind Block Calcs / Fishermans Park

From: Greg Harris (harris@Synopsys.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Feb 04 1999 - 17:44:53 PST

Date: Thu, 04 Feb 1999 17:44:53 -0800
From: Greg Harris <harris@Synopsys.COM-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Coyote Wind Block Calcs / Fishermans Park

Studying the report again. Actually I think we might have something to
argue with simply from their own report. Check out all the diagrams
from pages 50 till the end. Hopefully we might even make them believe
what I'm saying so we can have a real world value of what will affect
the launch instead of their arbitrary number.

First, think of the hole at Coyote which rears it's ugly head on a
W'ly. They actually show it on pg. 50 and it looks believable. It's
the reason I don't like to sail Coyote. How hard is it to launch when
that hole shows up? I know of several days I've been at Coyote where
the wind isn't enough to sustain you through the hole and people won't
even go out until either the wind switches or picks up. At the same
time the outside is nicely filled in and it's fun sailing. If you look
at an average day, you have no chance of planing at least until you hit
that their mapped area of 2 which has R values from .675-.65 and that's
not always true on a bad day.

Therefore, couldn't we argue the minimum R value of holes we can go
through is with an area labled with 3 (R values of .65-.625), with most
of the sailing done in the areas labled 2. Therefore, our minimum
sailing R value could be called .625 and we want most of it to be .65 to
effectively get to where we need to go. I even believe the area
affected by the hole on a W wind is larger than the 3 area they have
listed, but we'll keep .625 as the minimum sustainable for this
analysis.

Now we can look at the maps of the Project + Cumulative Development (pg.
52) and super windsurf killer the Alternative Hotel plan + Cumulative
Development on (pg. 58). If the guidelines I'm suggesting are accurate,
the alternative plan would absolutely doom Coyote as most of the area in
the map in within at least area 3 with lots of areas even worse.

For just the project and cumulitive development (pg. 52), if you were
launching from the middle point of the launch area, the 2nd. line on the
map to the left, you will quickly find yourself in the level 3 hole. As
you go, you barely slide along the level 2, 3 border returning into
level 3, level 4 and even level 5 before you come back out again into
real wind. Not only is there far more sailing in level 3, but you are
going into levels 4 and 5. Taking away from what is already very
difficult will be very problematic for Coyote.

I'll also bet you as you have higher winds, it would stretch the
distance that the holes exist and while they may have a higher wind
speed, the percent change from what you find on the outside grows as the
area affected by the hole continues out over the bay. This goes back to
safety for the gear you select.

Greg