RE: Central Coast

From: Brad James (bjames@exponent.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jan 15 1999 - 09:02:09 PST

From: Brad James <bjames@exponent.com-DeleteThis>
To: "'wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis'" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: Central Coast
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 09:02:09 -0800

I've had the pleasure of sailing Arroyo Laguna and surrounding breaks a
bunch over the years because I have in-Laws in San Luis Obispo. It seems
windier down there in both number of windy days and that it blows harder on
a given day compared "our" coast up here.... but wave size can be a problem,
it's usually smaller down there. They get a lot of flat days, especially in
the summer. Believe it or not, but it often gets too windy down there
(especially in spring), 3.5ish conditions happen fairly frequently, and it's
no fun trying to wavesail in that much wind.

The wind at Arroyo is side-off, and it is a beach break. It's a nice,
peeling right on a NW swell, best on low tide... but beware, all of the
breaks down there are pretty rocky. If you're truly lucky and hit arroyo on
a big swell day, there are reefs just upwind and outside of the normal beach
break -- on days like this you can get a dozen or more bottom turns on
beautiful big rollers....

It can get crowded at Arroyo, it's only 3 or so hours from wind-starved LA,
so lots of So-cal slalom sailors are usually there--- but I've never seen it
as crowded as Waddell gets, plus you can also sail down to the Castles break
which always has less people. I also think their wind season starts earlier
and lasts later than ours.

Brad