News on the Points: COYOTE and SEAL

From: George Haye (geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Nov 18 1998 - 23:27:07 PST

From: "George Haye" <geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: News on the Points: COYOTE and SEAL
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 23:27:07 PST

News on Coyote and Seal Points. (I have sent this e-mail BCC to the
other windsurfers who attended the Seal Point public meeting last week,
among others. If you folks, who do not subscribe to wind_talk, wish to
subscribe -- you'll get lots of windsurf-related e-mails from local
windsufers, and it's free, and it's cool -- send an e-mail to
poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, and say "subscribe to wind_talk". He'll tell
you what to do next.)
*1. Coyote Point News *
*2. Seal Point News *
*3. Burnie *
*1.* Coyote Point News * The Burlingame Planning Department reports that
they have never received so many public comments on a project. Over 350
faxes and letters poured in!!, some from as far away as England, Maui,
Texas, Berkeley... Due to the public comments, the City is now obligated
to study this issue and include it in the Response to Comments Document
(part of the Final EIR).
WHAT WE MUST DO NOW
a. We will need to give input on the Response to Comments Document,
which should be available sometime between now and February. If the
analysis of the impact-on-Coyote issue is faulty, we will need to let
them know why.
b. We will need to turn out in large numbers at the Planning Review
Meeting – to show that we do not want to see Coyote Point ruined for
windsurfing, and that the proposed project must be modified. The
Planning Review meeting for the 301 Airport Boulevard project should
occur shortly after the Response to Comments Document is made available.
We will need to monitor the Burlingame Planning Department’s agendas.
When we find out when the Meeting will occur, we'll need to notify as
many people as possible.
c. Bookmark the SFBA website, www.sfba.org, and check regularly for
updates on this crisis.
d. Stay tuned. Otherwise, the off-season may be forever at Coyote Point.
* 2. * SEAL POINT NEWS *
   A group of windsurfers turned out at the first public meeting
regarding San Mateo's Shoreline Parks. All of the windsurfers spoke and
I believe we gave everyone in attendance some pretty compelling reasons
why windsurfing should be made available at Seal Point. "WE NEED THIS
ACCESS" was, to me, the key comment that someone made. It is true, the
other local spots are very often filled to the max on windy days. What
about 5-10-20 years from now? I've also heard that the Golf Course at
3rd avenue is planned to give way to a huge hotel at some point in the
hopefully DISTANT future -- once a suitable corporation comes along. I
hope that won't happen any time soon, but Foster City LIKES big
buildings by the water, you know. For now, if enough of us give our
input, maybe we can get a great (and much-needed!) new place to sail
just upwind of 3rd Avenue (in San Mateo).
    We are just now taking the first steps to create windsurf access at
Seal. Summer 1999: the plans will become more concrete. Winter 1999 /
Spring 2000: the plans will go to the San Mateo City Council.
    If you want to know more or want to send a comment letter, send me
an e-mail, and I'll send you a copy of the article I wrote for the SFBA
newsletter. It pretty much says it all at this point.
* 3. * Burnie *
Some good lyrics. The song that saved Coyote? I was listening to this
song when I called Burlingame's City Planner and asked whether there
were any buildings planned for the Drive-In location... No one else knew
about the 5 and 7 (and 11?) story impending disaster at that point.
There was less than a week left to submit public comments. The alert
spread quickly via e-mail... Thanks to everyone...
Excerpts from BURNIE by Midnight Oil:
(http://www.midnightoil.com/high/music/album-postcard.html#burnie)
Brought up in a world of changes...
Short-changed by the surfing priest again.
Two children in the harbour, they play their game...
Write their contract in the sand, it'll be great for life.
...the Tide forever beckons you to leave. Something holds you back.
It's not the promise of a swell or a girl.
Just a hope that someday someway it'll be OK. You stop and say:
This is my home. This is my sea.
Don't paint it with a future of (HUGE BUILDINGS AT COYOTE)...
This is my life. This is my right.
I'll make it what I want to. I'll stay and I'll fight.