Re: Coyote Alert (Another Opportunity)

From: Kelly Wee (kelly@quake.net-DeleteThis)
Date: Sun Oct 25 1998 - 08:46:50 PST

Date: Sun, 25 Oct 1998 08:46:50 -0800
From: Kelly Wee <kelly@quake.net-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Coyote Alert (Another Opportunity)

Unless I'm mistaken, the city planning process is just the beginning
step in this project. The Bay Conservation and Development Commission
is the big hurdle. Their regulations require "the maximum public access
to the extent feasible". This is the venue where we managed to get the
Third Ave site in exchange for the increased levy heights from Foster
City. (Thank SFBA, Randy Anderson, Jay Runge, & others)

We must be effective when they proceed to obtain permits from BCDC. If
we can not get the buildings pushed back far enough to avoid wind
shadows then we may be able to convince BCDC to require mitigation
measures. Those measures might be shoreline access parking immediately
adjacent to the bay, new access ramps, and grass rigging areas, all of
this on the newly developed property. (These are just of few options we
may have to consider. I'm sure there are others.)

With Third Ave, we were extremely effective, swamping BCDC with the
largest public comment response they had ever received on a project.
Over 200 letters, faxes, adn emails. It did make a big difference.
Unfortunately, the late notification on Oct 28 Deadline for the City of
Burlingame will preclude us from getting a SFBA Access Alert out.

I will personally send a letter to Burlingame and keep tuned for the
BCDC permit.

BTW Another project to keep tabs on is the SFO runway expansion project.

--
Kelly Wee
SFBA Board Member