THAT IS ONE NEFARIOUS PHOTO

From: George Haye (geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Oct 23 1998 - 17:47:13 PDT

From: "George Haye" <geohaye@hotmail.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: THAT IS ONE NEFARIOUS PHOTO
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 17:47:13 PDT

1.Scott's right. It seems like some hurry-up may have been involved
here. Was the public comment period too short? I called the city on
Tuesday the 20th and found out about this thing. No other person who's
ever worn a rubber suit apparantly knew about the timetable. Maybe it's
just due to the fact that we cannot always be eternally vigilant
(although we have to be.)
2. The point made that these photos greatly distort the true size of the
buildings is crucial. You do not need physics (although we will need it
at the public hearings in Nov, Dec, or Jan...the date is not set yet) to
know that these buildings will shoot Coyote in the head. If you really
think about the times you've sailed at Coyote, and what those buildings
would do, you'll get a jarring visceral reaction. Sort of like the one I
felt when I was first reading that EIR, and which, along with the size
of the EIR itself, has prevented me from sleeping more than 4 hours per
night the last 3 nights.
3. Any talk about physics and modeling and which way the wind comes from
at Coyote must consider the following: the wind blows from many
different directions, often on the same day, and on all directions,
Coyote is still a fantastic site. Depending on the direction, the wind
shadows from these new buildings would be very different and very
devastating. A full 33% of the days, at least, see winds from the WSW
and SW. These days, the wind is almost always 5.0 on the outside, but
you need to slog. Add these massive buildings' wind shadows into the
equation, it is unclear how you could possibly sail. The WNW-W days, as
well, could be all but unsailable. The true NW days would probably still
be a complete pain. We could be looking at a total loss.