Berkeley Saturday

From: David R. Fielder (dfielder@cooper.cpmc.org-DeleteThis)
Date: Sat Oct 17 1998 - 23:24:26 PDT

Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 07:24:26 +0100
To: wind_talk@jr.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
From: "David R. Fielder" <dfielder@cooper.cpmc.org-DeleteThis>
Subject: Berkeley Saturday

        Have been meeting lots of friendly boardheads as we sit and pine
("Jones"?) on the shore. Yesterday, I was at work (yes, again...) and was
paying close attention but getting mixed signals from Berkeley windtalker
(xbar = 3) and COW (xbar = 14, but always a bit high). Cindy had fixed the
earlier windtalker "not answering" problem, but maybe something else wrong
too? Decided it was time to come home, just in case. Drove by marina and
several guys were planing so did the mad pack/rush. Got to His Lords and
one guy (Scott) getting ready to go out asked me about conditions and his
gear (new to site). At that point it was not bad wind, but also 5PM and no
fog etc., so I cautioned him to rig big. All he could do was change to a
15in blade on his 265/6.5 combo, at 160 lbs. I went 16.5/288/7.5 as wind
was just above my "lower limit to launch" and I've learned, at least a bit.

        As I was launching, Scott dropped in and said he was mostly
slogging, but seemed OK to me and I planed off in great shape. Sailed in
nice conditions for 30 minutes (straps and jibes), saw him quit after
another slog back (for him), and then the wind started to drop. I then
switched to tack practice mode, and made 50% (yeah, 1 for 2...... but
still, encouraging). Then it really shut down, but I was only about 500
yds from home, as was playing it safe. Decided to swim rather than attempt
uphaul for three reasons, close to home, really zero wind, and my previous
back experience. Made it in 20 min and nice and warm thanks to my Ripcurl
rash guard shirt with hood (huge thermal help under helmet, and great
unsolicited gift from Pat) and newly repaired wetsuit. Thought about
payoff balance of total of one hour travel/rig/derig time and 20 min swim
vs. 30 minutes of pleasure, but decided No Contest - I'd do it every time,
at least during El Nino year :)

        Then we chatted while watching the Big Boys try to make it back
from TI. Several paid, big time. Saw at least one sailboat "rescue".
Scott is my second new contact, in a row, who has "retired" for at least a
year to dedicate himself to our sport. Are we doing something wrong,
career-wise??!! He's an ex-surfer and remarks on the difference in
cultures - ours wins. He's also improving dramatically fast for only his
second season, even saw him make at least one jibe on his Screamer (of
course that's compared to klutz's like me). We also shared self-rescue
tricks (for some strange reason) and we each had a new one for the other.
His was to have your uphaul tied to the boom clamp so can be untied in
water, while leaving attached at mast base. Then you can loop it over your
harness hook and swim in with both arms while the rig is dragged from its
approx center of mass. May be a great concept? My "share" was the old
broken boom flip trick. He was driving back that night to camp out at Rio
for dawn patrol. Probably about my age, but in really great shape.........

        Only other news is an amazingly successful wetsuit self-repair (at
least so far). Went to local dive shop and was sold a white tube of
"Seament" (great name), all purpose neoprene adhesive and sealant - looks
like a big tube of model airplane glue. Was told that the 12in lateral rip
in the seat of my 4 year old suit was near hopeless - maybe a major stress
point?? :) Anyway, I used waxed paper to protect from sticking two
sides together and bricks to flatten the joint after glueing and covering
with more waxed paper. First glue only on edges of rip. Then after two
days, I put another thick layer on top (outside side of suit). Finally, I
added a bit more to the inside of the rip. Came out totally clear, so I'm
still reasonably color coordinated, and almost perfect. Then, held up
under yesterday's conditions. Not bad! However, this is just to get me
thru the winter till I get one of those new, more user-friendly 4/3's that
are stretchy (probably O'Neil, but not zipperless), and even seem to fit
me, non-custom. Isn't it great always having something to buy....

 "Rig for the Moment" DRF's Statistics: 185 lbs/6'6"
                                           BIC Veloce 278 & 288 XLS
 USWA Member #US212 Windwings 7.5/6.7/5.8/4.9
 Berkeley-His Lordships
 Point Isabel & Wherever