Re: Wind alert!

From: Gregg Holtmeier (holtmeier@llnl.gov-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Oct 12 1998 - 08:46:34 PDT

Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 08:46:34 -0700
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
From: Gregg Holtmeier <holtmeier@llnl.gov-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Wind alert!

The National Weather Service was right on the central coast winds last
Friday. I was packing up Thursday for a camping surf trip to Jalama with no
intention of sailing. Before I left that evening, I checked the weather
service and they had gale warnings out for Friday on the central coast, so
I changed plans and packed up the sailing gear also.

Friday I sailed on a 4.7 (200#) and 8'6" board. The waves were head high
with about 6 people out. The wind was very consistent all afternoon.
Saturday was a little lighter, 5.2, with variable direction and speed. I
didn't stick around Sunday afternoon, but it looked like a bust.

The surfing sucked all weekend due to the wind. However, I almost violated
a cardinal rule for Jalama trips by nearly leaving my sailing gear at home.
Never go to Jalama without sailing gear no matter how late in the season.
Friday night was so windy that we didn't even try to cook outdoors.

Gregg Holtmeier.