Sunday Slog Fest @ Natural Bridges

From: Scott Winkler (scott@force4.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Sep 21 1998 - 11:19:44 PDT

Date: Mon, 21 Sep 1998 11:19:44 -0700
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
From: Scott Winkler <scott@force4.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Sunday Slog Fest @ Natural Bridges

Spent the weekend in the Santa Cruz area. Missed what whas reported to be
an epic day at Natural Bridges Saturday. Curiously, COTW wasn't showing
much for the coast. According to the locals, the COTW sensor at Natural
Bridges is way off;
they referred to a "slug-cam". I vaguely remember something about this
site, but don't have the URL anymore. Can anybody help?

Got to the beach Sunday about 2:30pm. Mixed reports, mostly weak. Rigged
5.5 with slalom board; others were heading out on 5.2's. Struggled off the
beach, got tangled in kelp with my nice large slalom fin. Eventually got
past the kelp beds without becoming part of the food chain only to find
myself seriously underpowered outside. As far as slogging goes, this was
very pleasant; the water was relatively warm and calm, the sun and scenery
beautiful! After jibing ugly and beginning to head in, it was clear I
wasn't close to regaining the NB launch. After some more kelp floundering,
I got up and spotted a nice cove complete with naked folks. Figuring the
presence of people, naked or otherwise, as a good sign relative to
regaining the road above, I headed in. My arrival on the beach sparked only
minimal attention, and I was very suprised by the general attractiveness of
most of the naked people. Had a nice chat with a naked guy who used to
work for Windsurging Hawaii in Oahu sometime ago. He was fascinated by the
advances in gear, while I was thinking, "only in California!"
Got half naked (wetsuit top down), broke down gear and clambored back up
the cliff. Don't know what this beach is called; it's about 100 yards down
from NB, but I strongly recomend it as a backup landing for NB!
Scott Winkler
200#, ASD, North Spectra
650 917-9674