Tuesday at 3rd

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Sep 08 1998 - 23:24:28 PDT

Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 23:24:28 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Tuesday at 3rd

============= Tue 8 Sep 98 - 3rd - 6.0/257 (190#)

I said:
> I think it's happening now; so I'm going to check it out.

I was wrong. At least, it was nothing like the big swell of Monday.

It was actually pretty decent for a while. We launched at 3:40 on 6.0
for me and 4.9 for Michael, and to our surprise, planed off from the
launch. (Oh yeah, high tide makes the water inside look flat. I knew
that.) We had a fun 3/4 hour, well powered in smallish swell in the
channel, only about 10 sailing, mostly 3rd regulars. But then we could
see rain approaching from downwind. Yes, coming from downwind.

As the wind dropped, we moved in and sailed close to shore for a bit.
Michael then went in to trade for a bigger sail (5.4, already rigged) but
the wind just died at that point.

When the wind died, I made the surprising discovery that there was a
significant current running NW with the ebb - right up to 20 feet from
the shore! I had to work against it to get downwind to the launch ramp.
I've often felt I was having a hard time staying upwind on the flood
tide, but it never seemed to make sense that there would be much current
in the shallows. This was a pretty clear demonstration that there is.

"Windsurfing is so addictive because it's like sex: you don't know when
you will get it, and then you don't know how good it will be."
                                        -- Randy Johnson