Berkeley swimming club - Sunday practice report

From: Zeev_Gur@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis
Date: Tue Sep 08 1998 - 09:40:57 PDT

From: Zeev_Gur@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis
To: wind_talk@jr.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Cc: joani.g.gur@ac.com-DeleteThis, Kami_Dycus@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis, Cliff_E._Dycus@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis, Glenn_Wada@peoplesoft.com-DeleteThis
Date: Tue, 8 Sep 1998 09:40:57 -0700
Subject: Berkeley swimming club - Sunday practice report

Arrived at Berk at 3:00pm and it looked lighter
then normal - which is pretty light. I could see a few
racers planing mid-peir and higher. I thought to myself
"If they can, so can I. Flappers, we don't need no
stinkin' flappers...."

I went out on 6.2/9'4", very light. Slogged first hour
to get upwind - really wanted to sail. When I got to
the first gap in the pier, there was enough wind to plane.
Made it to the top of the pier in another 45 minutes where
the wind was blowing pretty hard. Pointed all the way to
Treasure island - lots of boat traffic. At around 6pm I was
getting pretty tired from all the slogging and pointed the
mother deep to get back. It was a blast screaming over the tops
of big swells. Had some wild jumps with major hang time.

When I got to the first gap in the pier, the wind dropped
off to almost zero. I was able to uphaul, but there was
no wind and plenty of swells......I would bop around and
fall in. Hmm, what to do next? can't sail in zero wind....
swim time. I swam for 45 min and got about half way
to the launch. Man was I getting tired. I was VERY
happy to not be doing the swim in Crissy, Coyote or
Tuba. I was starting to think about ditching my rig - it
is old and I NEED a bigger sail anyway ;-) Just as
I was starting to futz with my rig, I see a small
power boat coming up to me. An angel in disguise.....His
earthly name is Chi, he is from the CAL sailing club. The
man proceeded to tow me and my rig back to H's Lordship.
I was so tired from the swim, that I could barely walk
back up the rocks to my car.

Words of wisdom from Chi - "Some days are better then
others.....sometimes this sport is amazing, and others you
wonder why you bother" amen brudder.

Chi, your carma bank account is very large (he did
the same for another sailor.) and you have as many cold
beers as you want the next time you see me!!!!!

The swim aside, it was a great session.