RE: Sun at Coyote

From: Lev Belov (levb@pointcast.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Sep 01 1998 - 15:45:03 PDT

From: Lev Belov <levb@pointcast.com-DeleteThis>
To: "'wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis'" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: Sun at Coyote
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 15:45:03 -0700

I sailed from 2 to about 6:30, with a break around 4, when the wind really
got light. I was on a 5.2 first, fully powered outside, and then on a 6.0,
again quite powered up (I weigh #210).

The big difference for me was the board I was demoing. It was the new F2
Air and Style, which is only 260 cm long, but is as wide as, say, a Xantos
295. This board rules for big guys like me. It is easy to get planing,
jumps like hell, turns well, and doesn't feel too wide in the chop (unlike
the Xantos with its huge nose).

I was really amazed with how easy it was to chop-hop it (even on the port
tack), and control it when it was up in the air. I could even jibe it most
of the time, which is quite an accomplishment for me :-). In the jibes the
board cuts through the chop without bouncing, once you put it on a rail...

Also, because of its width this board is pretty easy to slog despite its
(relatively) low volume of 95 liters. As a matter of fact it was easier to
slog than my "normal" F2 277 ride of 103 liters.

The only negative was that the stock fin (10.5") was spinning out on me
quite a bit, wasn't holding well with a fully-powered 6.0, and generally
didn't go upwind all that well. Putting my FinWorks Waveblade 11.5 on
corrected the problem completely though.

I'd definitely recommend this board to all heavy sailors as a great 5.0 to
6.0 board.