RE: Sun at Coyote

From: Stephen Hiley (SHiley@WSGC.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Sep 01 1998 - 13:53:45 PDT

From: Stephen Hiley <SHiley@WSGC.com-DeleteThis>
To: "'wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis'" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: Sun at Coyote
Date: Tue, 1 Sep 1998 13:53:45 -0700

Funny you should bring up Sunday at Coyote...

I arrived there a little after 3 to find many sailors on and off the
water, with sails rigged in the 5.0-5.5 range. Not feeling much wind, I
checked out the pager which was reading 19knots. Feeling optimistic and
figuring that the reading must be getting its data from outside, I
rigged up my 5.3 MPR with my trusty 9'1" Screamer (floats with some care
at my 190#). I begin heading out in super shlog mode. I figure I just
have to suck it up until I get to the wind line. So I shlog out some
more, and some more. Thinking I spotted a windline, I go further --
nothing. Winds may have approached 18 in gusts outside, but mainly
hovering around 10-15. Frustrated and worn, I tack upwind a bit to
recover the ground lost by the current, and shlog back in. Back at the
car, I check the pager once more -- 20knots! with history showing about
the same. Get out-a-town! I've read all the discussions about the
pager understating wind speeds, but over-stating??? Has anyone noticed
this type of behavior before? I've sailed in 20knots enough to know
what feels like, and this wasn't it!

Just curious if anyone can explain these seemingly high readings, or if
something was just off on the sensor, or possibly a cruel joke.

As a happy footnote, I re-rigged to a bigger race sail and fin and had
some fun toward the end of the day (I think it picked up a bit). Passed
by a bunch of sailors not fairing as well on their wavy 5.x's,
apparently fooled as well.