Re: trip report & question

From: Booker Bense (bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Aug 12 1998 - 11:13:38 PDT

Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 11:13:38 -0700 (PDT)
From: Booker Bense <bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis>
To: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: trip report & question

On Tue, 11 Aug 1998, Martin Frankel wrote:

[ Gorge report deleted]

> I rented a Gorge Animal 8'3 on Sunday -- wow!!! what an I've never
> sailed anything shorter than 9 feet before and it was amazing. So now
> I've gotta buy a smaller board.
>
> That's where the question comes in. I'm 170lbs, and I have a Screamer
> (103l) which till now was my small board but suddenly seems awful big.
> So I'm looking for a board to use with sails in the 4's and low 5's.
> I just demoed some gear in the Gorge, but conditions are very
> different here. So my question is, what do you look for in a board
> for Peninsula sailing?

- My criteria are :

1. Must slash well (i.e. really fun/easy to jibe)

2. The minimum volume to slog back in ( for me at 180lbs this is 90
   liters )

3. Comfortable in the chop.

> For instance, how small can you go and still be safe? Do many people
> take the risk of sailing a board they can't slog in, or is that
> foolish?

- Well, the key to how small is volume not length. A rough rule of
thumb is convert your weight to kilos, add 10 and look for a board
of roughly that volume in liters.

- People sail Third Ave with sinkers, but I wouldn't recommend it
until you've sailed there alot and can recognize when the wind is
backing off.

> How about board weight? I know light weight is very important for the
> course race crowd, but for recreational bump&jump, does it really
> matter very much? Why?

- I'd say weight is the last consideration. Personally, I like a
heavier glass board when it gets really big. To me the big difference
is stiffness. A stiffer board will plane sooner, but make you suffer
more in the chop.

> What aspects of rocker, vee, outline, rails, etc make a good Bay
> board? I assume somewhere between a good wave board and a good slalom
> board. Are there unique design elements that make a good "bump&jump"
> board or is it just a compromise between wave & slalom?

- My personal taste is to get as wavy a board as possible and change
fins to make it go upwind in a flood. My "ideal" bay board would be
a "onshore" wave board, i.e. one with enough rails/volume to go
upwind.

- Booker C. Bense