Re: VHF Radio for rescue

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu Jul 30 1998 - 11:14:12 PDT

From: Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 14:14:12 EDT
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: VHF Radio for rescue

George wrote:
> Peter thanks for the info on use of the radio. Instead of using a wrist
> strap, have you considered a neck strap then sliding the radio under your
> wetsuit and wear it at your chest? Let me know if this is practical as it
> would protect your radio from excessive water and physically protect it
> better than in the fanny pack. Is there a difference in size for the 1 watt
> versa 5 watt, besides the battery size?

The 1 watt models I've seen are same general dimensions except they are
shorter by an inch or a bit more... nothing that makes a difference in a fanny
pack but something that might make a difference inside the suit. I tried
inside the suit but found it uncomfortable and expected I would get seriously
bruised sooner or later since I don't wear a PFD like Kirk does. I carry the
fanny pack anyway in order to carry flares, strobe, line, etc. so carrying the
radio there is fine as long as it handles the water.

Kirk wrote:

> I suppose I don't need the bag, but I think it helps float the radio if
> the strap comes off while using radio. Maybe I'll try it without the
> bag sometime.

I think I'd end up pulling the radio from the bag to get better transmission
anyway. I've had difficulties being understood broadcasting at 5 watts without
a bag between me and the mike. I would expect that the mike pickup through the
bag would only make things worse although it might act to reduce the wind
noise. I'm thinking of attaching a fishing float to the radio or putting a
bungee leash on it.

Peter