Re: Sail repair

From: Jay Runge (jrunge@netcom.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Jul 27 1998 - 22:50:54 PDT

From: Jay Runge <jrunge@netcom.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Sail repair
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 22:50:54 -0700 (PDT)

> All I can say is Spinnaker is *absurdly* expensive. They charged me
> $70 for one small patch on a luff sleeve. In contrast, I just paid
> $80 -- including shipping both ways -- to get two entire panels of my
> Delta3 replaced by MultiSail. 1-800-DO-MULTI, they repair all brands.
> Shipping it out is a bit of a pain, though.
>
> --
> Martin Frankel |||| mdf@sgi.com-DeleteThis |||| (650)933-6191

Much more labor to do a patch on a luff sleeve than to replace a panel.
Monofilm is so cheap compared to other sail cloth that the materials
cost is negligable.

Short story: sailor takes a broken harness buckle to be fixed, watches
repair guy spend 20 minutes picking out stiches, then 1 minute sewing
new buckle. Months later, breaks another buckle. Sits in front of them
tv with a seam ripper, picks out the stiches, removes the broken buckle.
Goes to the repair guys, says can you fix this? Repair guys says yes.
sailor holds up the harness, says I already did the hard part. Repair
guy perks up and says I can do that right now! 1 minute later, new buckle,
tiny amount of money, back on the water.

True story, documents on file.

Jay