story + question + safety

From: Greg Harris (greggh@Synopsys.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jul 10 1998 - 15:38:48 PDT

Date: Fri, 10 Jul 1998 15:38:48 -0700
From: Greg Harris <greggh@Synopsys.COM-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: story + question + safety

Well, it seems I have the equivalent of several posts all wrapped into
one, so I'll do them piecemeal w/ what I deem most important:

1) Safety Tip: I think a lot of people have heard of this, but I hadn't
till I was floating in the water a ways out at Palo Alto having just
lost my fin. I flagged down a couple of guys who told me to take my
life jacket off and buckle it around my back foot strap. This gave me
enough drag that I could slog back within 10-15 minutes and more
importantly the knowledge that I was going to make it back w/o even
walking any. Once I realized that I even start messing around w/ trying
to plane although everything moves all over the place. I forgot their
names since it was a couple of weeks back, but I highly appreciated
their advice.

2) Question: So, I've been sailing in the bay and rio and feel plenty
comfortable pretty much anywhere I sail at. I was wondering the skill
set necessary to go out to say Waddell. I've got my jibes on a 95L
board (180#) pretty well wired on my starboard tack when I concentrate,
port tack is done as well, but not as consistently. I put this to the
list since I asked two guys up at the gorge one being this old pro guy.
The pro guy said I don't even have to have any of my jibes down, just go
get you're ass kicked cause it's gonna get kicked anyway, just don't go
when it's mast high. The other guy said I should have my jibes down to
where I'm consistenly nailing essentially 100% of them. Any input?

3) Story: So, I went up to Gorge for two days since I had to be in
Oregon for a couple of days. I only got to sail one day, but anyway, on
that day I'm sailing across the river on a full plane, in the straps,
dialed in and I notice I'm headed straight for this mini black cloud.
As I got closer and more correctly: began to sail into, I realized: @#$!
it's a bee swarm. As initial panic set in and my imagination ran wild:
"Killer Bees Attack Windsurfers Story at 11" I let go of my rig and
headed for the water. I just wanted to swim to the edge of the swarm so
they weren't over my head and began to swim down river of my rig, so it
would be easy to back to it. That was when I noticed that life jackets
aren't really helpful when you want to stay underwater. So finally
instead of struggling to stay underwater, I just poked my head up out of
the water and noticed that they were just passing by, there just
happened to be a huge river in their way. After waiting a few minutes
they passed overhead and I swam back to my rig. I noticed there were a
whole bunch of bees in the water that must have bounced off me when I
sailed into them. I was really extra sure about keeping my mouth shut
and head above water as I waterstarted. I guess another guy had sailed
right through them, got one in his mouth and a couple in his wetsuit
which tells you when you go through a swarm how densly packed they are.
Other than that it was great day of sailing!!

Greg Harris