Re: Re[2]: San Luis Reservoir Question

From: Francois Jouaux (fjouaux@apple.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Jul 07 1998 - 12:03:46 PDT

To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: Re[2]: San Luis Reservoir Question
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 98 12:03:46 -0700
From: Francois Jouaux <fjouaux@apple.com-DeleteThis>

Here is my camping story about San Luis Reservoir :

Last year, Nico and his family and us decided to go sailing and
camping down there. On Saturday morning, we packed the windsurf gear
with the camping gear and the kids, trailed the hobby cat to the
north entrance of the forebay. It was HOT. Above 100. Of course not a
breeze, and jet skis everywhere. We thought, well it'll pick up in
the late afternoon as usual, so we rigged the hobby cat to slog
around. The water was really murky and the wives didn't feel like
swimming in it, so the kids and men where the only one to escape the
heat.
When the wind didn't pick up in late afternoon, we thought, it'll
blow tomorrow, let's at least enjoy the camping part of the trip.
Whenever I go somewhere camp sailing with Nico we get skunked
everytime.

So we set up the tents on this totally dried out place. The camp
ground looks like an urbanization where no house have been built yet.
A few small trees (totally bent down), and driveways to park. We
layed the table, and opened a bottle of french wine, ready to party.
As the sun set and I went to light up the barbecue, a gust of wind
just blows out the flame and the pile of wood I had made !
First we joked about it, then it turned camping in a nightmare.
Within 5 minutes all the tents were flatened out. The camping and
table ustensils all went flying before we could finish our dinner. We
all got splashed by red wine from the tilting glasses.
The kids were screaming, and the smallest girl almost had to be tied
on not to be blown off. I have only seen this much wind in southern
France a few time, the kind that can rip your car door out of your
hands and bend it backwards if you don't take care.

So the kids went to sleep in the minivan, the wives were cursing us,
and Nico and I contemplated going windsurfing under the full moon
that had risen. I unrolled my 4.0, then he chickened out. As we could
not speak much in the wind, we went to bed in our flattened tent. I
did not sleep.

Sometimes during the night everything went quite again, and night
life came out. Coyotes came to clean up the mess that we had left
flying around. One of them howled for hours at the moon, meters from
my tent. Then I slept in the pre-dawn, dreaming of the perfect dawn
patrol I'd have the next day.

I woke up at sunrise, suffocating in my tent. I'd swear it was more
than a hundred already in there. Jetskis were roaming. So hot, no
shade, so much light, the air was completely still. We packed
everything up and left for home. The minivan overheated on the crawl
up the pass. But we made it, dropped everyone at home, and went
sailing to 3rd. We had a blast.

-Francois