Wave Sailing Rules

From: aed@veosystems.com-DeleteThis
Date: Sun Jun 28 1998 - 15:16:51 PDT

From: aed@veosystems.com-DeleteThis
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 15:16:51 -0700 (PDT)
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Wave Sailing Rules

Hi Ed,

        I augmented your rules alittle with the rules for traditionaly
surfing

Ed Scott writes:
> I'm not sure I know them all. These are what I think the general rules
> are:

0. do not drop in on other riders. (ie only one rider per wave)

> 1. Upwind/upwave sailor has right of way for two riding on same
> wave.

in traditional surfing, the rider closest to the peak has right of
way. ie two riders drop about the same time, the one furthest out on
the shoulder must kick out.

> 2. Outbound sailor has right of way over wave riders, but outbound
> sailors should be considerate and not try to interfere with wave
> riders.

does port / starboard tack come into play at all?

with traditional surfing you are supposed to swim out by going around
the waves so as not to interfer with anyone on an actual wave. If you
find you can not swim around (ie get caught inside) you are supposed
to try to swim through the closed out section of the wave. it is
easier to swim through the shoulder, but then you would interfer with
the rider.

> 3. Riding over the shoulder of a wave upwind of a sailor to catch a wave
> is verboten.
>
> If anyone can add or clarify, I'd appreciate it.

if you wipe out, try to hold on to your gear.

Andy