Davis Point!!

From: Brad James (bjames@exponent.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Jun 22 1998 - 10:34:43 PDT

Date: 22 Jun 1998 10:34:43 -0700
From: "Brad James" <bjames@exponent.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Davis Point!!
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

I've been reading Mike Godsey's windcall.com forecasts, noticing him talking
about epic wind and swell at Davis Point - but I couldn't figure out where
the hell it was. I talked to the guys at ASD, they'd heard it was really
windy there, but had no clue how to get there, called Berkeley and Delta
windsurfing, same thing.

So, some of my windstarved peninsula buddies and I (this SW flow-stuff really
sucks) decided to try Pt. Isabel instead of doing the loooonng Delta drive
twice in one weekend. Pt. Isabel wasn't happening enough for my equipment
(5.3 sail and 8'6'' waveboard are the biggest I've got) - - but we did meet
Mike Godsey. He gave us the scoop on how to get to Davis Pt., told us it's
only 15 minutes away, told us how epic it gets there, so we went.

We were skeptical that it'd be any windier than the other east-bay spots
yesterday, but it turned out that it was a lot windier than either Berkeley
or Pt. Isabel. Nice sandy launch; big, steep swells outside for big, port
tack jumps; the sailing reminded me of 3rd Ave here on the Peninsula. You
can tell the place gets wind - there's a big eucalyptus tree permanently bent
way over from the wind right at the beach. Godsey says that the place blows
all day long - no midday lull like the Delta....

We were surprized that no one else was there!!!! I couldn't help wondering
why this isn't some premiere east-bay spot. I had the feeling that Davis
Point probably only gets sailed a few times a year by Godsey and his buddies.
 Is there some big hazard we didn't know about?? We didn't notice any water
quality problems (there were lots of people fishing). The neighborhood
didn't seem bad... It is remote, but I think I'd rather break down there
than out in the middle at Crissy (Godsey says there isn't much current there)
..

Whats up East Bay guys (and gals), is there something wrong with Davis
Point?? Why aren't you all sailing this place????

Brad

ps. If this is some "secret" spot, don't blame me.... Godsey put it up on
his windcall page after all....