Re: minimum wetsuit thickness?

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Jun 11 1998 - 00:41:58 PDT

Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 00:41:58 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  minimum wetsuit thickness?

> i once recall reading/hearing that the minimum you should go in the bay is
> 4/3 full when i got my original suit but can't find anything lately to
> substantiate that - i'd like to get a 3/2 full for my new suit if that
> would provide an adequate safety margin.
>
> any comments/recommendations?

It varies from person to person, but the overriding consideration should
be how it will feel after being in the water for 1-4 hours (the usual time
to reach shore after a breakdown, if things go well).

I never sail in the Bay in less than a 4/3. Until summer comes, (and
any time at Crissy or the coast) I add booties, and a hood on cooler
days.

How well the suit prevents water circulation is key, which comes down to
glued seams and a good fit.

"Ken is out in the channel floating with a broken mast at Coyote Point.
When should I start to worry?"
  Katie Poulton to Kirk Lindstrom, trying to remain calm in the face of
  the unknown.... Facts were better than we thought since he launched
  from 3rd and probably WAS near Coyote at that time.