Re: How many people windsurf in the San Francisco Bay Area?

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri Jun 05 1998 - 20:33:24 PDT

Date: Fri, 5 Jun 1998 20:33:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  How many people windsurf in the San Francisco Bay Area?

> Any guess on how many windsurfers live and sail here?

I once made the following estimate of sailor-days per year:

    So let's try to make an estimate for the Bay Area. I'll guess we have
    100 sailors at about 20 sites on spring/summer weekend days, call that
    52 days -> 104K sailor-days/year. Add 50% more for weekday sailing ->
    150K sailor-days/year.

I'm not confident there are actually 20 sites with 100 sailors, but
there must be at least 1000 sailors out on decent weekend days. So I'll
guess that there must be 5 or 10 thousand serious sailors living here,
plus many more of the twice-a-year variety.

Maybe SFBA or the local shops have real numbers...

"Now is the winter of our discontent" -- Richard III, Act I, Scene1, Line 1