Re: Swimming in

From: Leo J. Bragagnolo (ljb@eqe.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Fri May 08 1998 - 09:18:29 PDT

From: "Leo J. Bragagnolo" <ljb@eqe.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Fri, 8 May 1998 08:18:29 PST
Subject: Re: Swimming in

The only options being discussed seem to be ditching the rig
completely or dragging it in the water. What about self rescue?
Take off the boom, remove the battens from the sail, roll the sail
around the mast, lash everything together, and lay on top of it on
the board. It definitely would not be easy during rough weather, but
much better than trying to drag the board with the rig attached, and
worth trying before ditching.

When swimming in at Crissy (something that seems to occur at
least once a season) I typically try to balance the sail on my board
to keep it out of the water, which greatly improves my swimming
progress. However, this is pretty hard to do even if the water is
pretty calm. Also, there is usually a puff that will come up and
it's nice to have the sail rigged to catch it. However, if the wind
were truly dead or I had an equipment failure, I would definitely
derig and paddle in.

As mentioned by numerous sailors over the past months: never leave
your board.

Leo

Leo J. Bragagnolo, P.E.
Group Manager