Sex, lies and vent plugs

From: Jim Paugh (James.Paugh@eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed May 06 1998 - 09:38:05 PDT

Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 09:38:05 -0700 (PDT)
From: Jim Paugh <James.Paugh@eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis>
Subject: Sex, lies and vent plugs
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis

While we're on the subject of vent plugs. It's always a good idea to open it
up after each session. It should make a nice sucking sound, which tells you
that your board is still nice and tight. My oldest epoxy board, going on it's
4th season, still sucks! B-) If you leave it in the car on a warm day with
the vent closed, it will only take a few hours for damage to be done. [TIP: if
you ever suspect your board has a leak and is taking on water, close the vent
and leave the board in you car on a warm day for about an hour. The pressure
will build up and any leaks will start to bubble.]

The procedure I use to make sure I don't forget to close the vent is to
"stage" the board at your car before taking it to the launch. Check the mast
track, check the tightness of the footstrap screws, check and attach the
universal and finally tighten the vent plug. Make this a habit and you'll
never forget to close the vent. For those who sail the coast or sandy beaches,
take the vent plug out and make sure there's no sand around the O-ring. When
you open the vent at the end of a sandy session, it may suck sand in around
the O-ring. Blow it out of the vent opening and clean the O-ring (I put it in
my mouth to clean it, yum!). The sand will interfere with the seal and your
board may leak through the vent.

Just my .02 worth after owning vented boards for years.

~Jim Paugh Email:jpaugh@Eng.Sun.COM-DeleteThis Forsyth Boards/Ezzy Sails