Weds 3rd

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Apr 30 1998 - 11:19:29 PDT

Date: Thu, 30 Apr 1998 11:19:29 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Weds 3rd

============= Wed 29 Apr 98 - 3rd - 6.0/257 (193#)

Tuesday looked marginal, and I was so confident that Wednesday would be
no better that I rode my bike to work. But I watched the wind anyway (I
have to be pretty darn focused to ignore my mail announcer, wind graph
and pager). There was a hint at 2:00 (my usual decision time) that it
would be better, but at 3:00 we got a surprise 20 knots!

Michael and I arrived at 3rd around 4:00. Looked like standard-rig
weather, but Jay had just come in for smaller board. We rigged
Goofy, but when we were ready to launch (hot and sweaty in full suits
and really ready to get wet) every sail was just standing up - no one
was planing. Well, last week we saw that and went out anyway - and slogged -
so this time we rigged up a size (6.0 for me, 5.4 for Michael) and
went out, still on small boards.

It was *very* marginal, even with the bigger sails. We could plane,
mostly, but had to really work hard to get on a plane. The channel was
no better, and the end of the flood made it worse. We sailed back
inside for a bit to avoid the flood and the wind came back up in just a
few minutes. 10 minutes later we were back in the channel, very nicely
powered and damned if it wasn't ebbing already! It remained very flat
over most of the channel, but built up some nice wide 3' swells right by
the channel marker. Very fun jibing; Michael got some nice jumps.

We sailed until it died back quite quickly around 6:15. A lot of folks
had a *very* long slog in, but the bigger sails were just barely barely
enough to get us back in on a plane.

"Contrariwise", continued Tweedledee, "If it was so, it might be;
and if it were so, it would be; but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."
                                        -- Lewis Carroll