Re: On-the-water communications

From: John V. Morris (jmorris@cup.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Apr 27 1998 - 14:48:26 PDT

From: "John V. Morris" <jmorris@cup.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: On-the-water communications
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Mon, 27 Apr 1998 14:48:26 PDT

> It seems to me that a hold-to-talk system is difficult to use in
> windsurfing since we pretty much have all four limbs occupied while
> sailing. Motorola does offer a voice-activated mike, but it seems
> unlikely to survive immersion. I'd sure be interested in hearing how
> the Talkabouts seem to work for you.

I tried a small voice activated radio with very mixed results.
Windsurfing generates a lot of noise - wind noise, water noise,
inadvertent expletives - and the listener gets overwhelmed with the
garbage. Some sounds, like the microphone hitting the water at high
speed, are outright painful.

I'm going to try again, but I'll probably leave the voice activation
off except for when I actually want to talk.

The units I tried were the small 100mW Radio Shack units with a combination
earphone/microphone. I created waterproof bags by fusing a sheet of vinyl
with a clothes iron and aluminum foil, and I used an elastic headband to
hold the earphone/microphone in place. I was mainly interested in trying
out the idea; I would not recommend these as rescue radios.

John Morris