Radio

From: Edward Wilson (ed.wilson@ibm.net-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Apr 20 1998 - 08:39:59 PDT

Date: Mon, 20 Apr 1998 08:39:59 -0700
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
From: Edward Wilson <ed.wilson@ibm.net-DeleteThis>
Subject: Radio

Here's another positive experience with the Uniden HH940...
Actually used it once to call the CG from the middle of the bay (directing
them to a sailor who lost his rig on a 3.5 day at 3rd) - worked just fine.
Haven't shopped since then, but one nice feature is that there are no
knobs, only buttons. I would expect this to make it more waterproof since
it's easier to waterproof a button than a knob.
Keep it in the waterproof bag West Marine sells (shaped for a radio). Works
perfectly.
Has a battery level indicator.
I have an XSL seat harness with a large zipper compartment in the back. I
keep the radio, 6' and 30' of 4mm line, 2 flares, and the firefly 2 strobe.
It's a tight fit, but I just pack it and forget about it for weeks at a
time between radio battery checks. This way it's not a hassle, and I'll
never get lazy and leave it behind.

Ed Wilson
3rd Ave
Brown Vanagon