Re: EPIRB vs. VHF

From: steve shugart (steves@stealth.rose.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Apr 16 1998 - 15:47:57 PDT

From: steve shugart <steves@stealth.rose.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: EPIRB vs. VHF
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Thu, 16 Apr 98 15:47:57 PDT
Full-Name: steve shugart
Mailer: Elm [revision: 70.85]

> Does anyone have any experience with either of these two
> devices? They're both on sale at West.
>
> 1) ACR EPIRB "Mini" B2ILS Survival Kit $229.95
> manually activated
> audible beep (so you know it's sending)
> strobe/flashlight (cool, if it's a good enough strobe)
> small enough to fit in a fanny pack (I think)
> comes with a whistle (nice touch)
>
> 2) Std. Communications HX255S Handheld VHF $259.99
> 5 watt (5 watt, better than most I think?)
> 16ch priority scan
> 3 year waterproof warrantee (I guess that covers leaks?)

I have a 2 year old Std Comm HS250?, I keep it in the pouch that WM sells.
A few times I have had a few drops in the bag, but I just make sure
I take the radio out after sailing.

I put this, the strobe, some H20, and whatever else I think I might
need in a fanny pack, It has held up just fine. The type of thread the
pack is made with proably makes a difference in strenght and resistance
to rot. The fanny pack seems hardly noticeable. The water is really nice to
have when sailing in the ocean or bay. Sometimes I keep and empty water bottle
to float the pack if I lose it.

My thought on floating things was using a punch ball, haven't tried it yet.

steves@stealth.rose.hp.com-DeleteThis