RE: Safety Equip.

From: David Veach (veach@LANQuest.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Apr 15 1998 - 08:56:52 PDT

From: David Veach <veach@LANQuest.COM-DeleteThis>
To: "'wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis'" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: Safety Equip.
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 1998 08:56:52 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: TWavo [SMTP:TWavo@aol.com-DeleteThis]
Sent: Tuesday, April 14, 1998 11:51 PM
To: Multiple recipients of list
Subject: Safety Equip.

>I mentioned this last year but,
>I still think a blow up neon colored buoy/ balloon is a good thing to carry to
>tie on to your rig if you need to ditch.

I've been thinking of the same thing. It could fold pretty flat, be easy to deploy,
and should be pretty visible (in the daytime). Just a plain old "beach ball" would
be probably good enough (as long as there is a way to attach a line to it). If the
rig and board separate though you've got to go for the board and you may never make
it back to the rig before it sinks.

>It will keep the thing from sinking if its 10 - 12" in diameter and will help
>spot it for recovery.
>TD

Have you tested this? I'm wondering if that's enough bouyancy to hold up a water-logged
rig. Maybe it would be better to have a small spool of fishing line already attached to
the balloon and long enough to let the rig sink to the bottom. 80-100lb test should be
strong enough to pull the rig back up (slowly).

I know that this is turning into a lot of junk to carry around but, hey, a <$10 toy could
save a >$1000 rig.

Other thoughts on this idea?

-d