Carrying breakdown kits

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Apr 14 1998 - 10:48:27 PDT

Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 10:48:27 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Carrying breakdown kits

> with all this talk about radios, and break down kits, I am wondering
> how people actually care all this stuff?

I sewed a pocket on the back of my PFD. I wear an ExtraSport PFD
designed for kayaking, so it is short enough to be out of the way of the
harness hook. It also has the flotation material in vertical stripes,
so you can sew along the existing seams with a regular sewing machine.
I made a pocket big enough to carry my (flattened) SeaSafe dry bag,
about 5" wide, 3" deep and 13" high. I used nylon fabric for the sides
and top (like the PFD fabric) mesh for the bottom to drain, 2"-wide velcro
closures at the top. The SeaSafe comes with a strap that I clip onto a
ring I added on the shoulder of my PFD, so I can reach back and loose
the velcro, pull out the SeaSafe but leave it clipped onto my PFD.

The main problem with this solution is that it takes some custom sewing.

Michael uses a little fanny pack, but wears it over his shoulder; this
keeps it from banging into the chop. The main problem with fanny packs
seems to be strength - if the belt webbing is not continuous through the
pack, you probably need to sew on a piece to make it strong enough.

"Now is the winter of our discontent" -- Richard III, Act I, Scene1, Line 1