Re: VHF Call Signs

From: Eyes4Hire (Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Mon Apr 13 1998 - 11:38:05 PDT

From: Eyes4Hire <Eyes4Hire@aol.com-DeleteThis>
Date: Mon, 13 Apr 1998 14:38:05 EDT
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re: VHF Call Signs

Ken Poulton wrote:

>> And yes, I did see that FCC info. Thanks to everyone who responded.
>> What do (or can) you use as your call-sign?

>When I was skirting the license issue, I planned to use my sail number
>since I had no radio license number:
>
> "This is USA-411, windsurfer 'Airtime' calling Coast Guard."
>
>But, I suspect the Coast Guard will respond on Ch 22 to "hey Coast Guard!"
>just as well.
>
> When you transmit your
> mayday, do you just say "This is windsurfer Ed Scott near channel marker
> 8" or just "Help!"?

The most important thing is to use a call sign that is unique. If you just go
as "windsurfer", there is the danger that two or more different windsurfers
may be in trouble at the same time ( as happened two weeks ago) and you may
seriuously confuse the situation. There have been cases where rescue
assistance was not sent to boats because there transmissions were thought to
have come from some other vessel which already had rescue personnel enroute.

Peter