Re: Eye Wear in the Waves

From: Luigi Semenzato (luigi@pathfinder.lbl.gov-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Feb 18 1998 - 14:12:23 PST

Subject: Re: Eye Wear in the Waves
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 1998 14:12:23 -0800
From: Luigi Semenzato <luigi@pathfinder.lbl.gov-DeleteThis>

Ross B. writes:

> What do wave sailors who need eye correction do?

I need serious eye correction, but my contact lenses have
always been adequate for windsurfing. I don't wavesail
much, but I've had my share and I never got sand in my eyes.
I wear soft lenses, the one weighted at the bottom for
astigmatism.

I actually doubt that sand can make it through shut eyelids.
Maybe you have thick eyelashes which collect sand and
release it later, after you open your eyes---or something
similar. Perhaps you should wipe your face with your hand
before you reopen your eyes, or at least wait for most of
the water to fall off. I wait a second or so, mostly
because I am afraid of water washing a lens off. ---Luigi