Re: Eye Wear in the Waves

From: david chaffin (chaff@worldnet.att.net-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Feb 17 1998 - 08:21:50 PST

From: "david chaffin" <chaff@worldnet.att.net-DeleteThis>
To: <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: Eye Wear in the Waves
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 1998 08:21:50 -0800

There are several companies that make recreational eyewear for the
activist. All are equally overpriced generally perform worse than a well
fitting plastic frame with large polycarbonate (shatterproof) lenses. The
problem with the recreational eye wear is that one size rarely fits all.
Poorly fitting lenses are optically poor, and there are technical
challenges that make the cool "wrap around" style sport glasses optically
inferior for prescription wearers.

Best option is to drill small holes into the temples of a comfortable frame
and sew your croaky in place. Attach your croaky to your wetsuit with
double ended spring clamp which you can buy in a ski store. (they are made
for keeping baseball caps clipped to collar while skiing). Treat the
lenses with Rain-X for clearer vision.

Alternatively you might try a different contact lens. Might not actually
be sand in the contacts but rather salt particles, and a good contact lens
fit could nullify the problem.

If still unsatisfied consider refractive eye surgery. If you are a
candidate, advanced laser surgical techniques can reduce or eliminate your
dependence on glasses or contact lenses. Contact me directly if you would
like more info or a free refractive surgery consult.

D. Chaffin, MD
Chaff@worldnet.att.net-DeleteThis