Re: windsurfing access at Los Vaqueros

From: Ken Poulton (poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Wed Jan 21 1998 - 01:31:58 PST

Date: Wed, 21 Jan 1998 01:31:58 -0800 (PST)
From: Ken Poulton <poulton@zonker.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Re:  windsurfing access at Los Vaqueros

Los Vaqueros has the potential to be a great spot!

This is in the middle of all those wind farms at the Altamont Pass;
their reports claim over 15 mph wind over 50% of the day from April to
September. The size is 0.5 to 2.5 miles side to side depending on where
you are. Think of the 3.5-4.5 reports you've heard of from Bethany and
add a reasonable size lake.

I'm not saying it *will* be great - it depends on how gusty the wind
is and whether you like flat or bumpy water and where access is
possible. But we should push them to *allow* windsurfing.

See http://www.ccnet.com/~ccwd/lv.html for lots of info; see near
the end of http://www.ccnet.com/~ccwd/chap3.html for wind data.

They have apparently not even thought about windsurfing; they say for
winds over 15 mph non-motorized boating should not be allowed!

What to do? Write them a letter!
Too much work? Copy mine and send them that.

"If you want to stop war and stuff, you gotta sing *loud*."
                                        -- Arlo Guthrie

                                                            21 Jan 98

Members of the Board; Walter Bishop, General Manager
Contra Costa Water District
1331 Concord Avenue
Concord, CA 94524

I understand that the Contra Costa Water District is working on defining
recreational access for the Los Vaqueros Reservoir. I'd like to address
a form of recreation that has not been explicitly considered:
windsurfing.

Windsurfing is a natural for Los Vaqueros! The 15-30 mph winds that are
usually found at Los Vaqueros from April to September are IDEAL for
windsurfing. The size of the lake is also very good - the narrower
fingers of the lake are good for beginners, while the 1-2 mile reaches
possible across the middle of the lake are ideal for better windsurfers.

What do windsurfers need?

    Wind
    Water
    Access

The first two are being provided. Access is the remaining question.

Windsurfing uses a fair amount of car-carried equipment, so parking as
close to the water as possible is a major consideration. An ideal
situation includes a parking area (paved or gravel), a rigging area
(grass or pea gravel) about 25% of the size of the parking area and
located adjacent to the water and a restroom (e.g., a portapotty). As
long as the slope is not steep, no ramps into the water are required.
But we also sail at many more primitive sites. Parking within 100 yards
of the water is the real key.

Siting of the access point is important - a location where the wind
blows onshore or along the shore is much preferable to a location where
the wind blows directly offshore.

Despite the image of windsurfing as an "extreme" sport, the typical
Bay Area windsurfer is a professional over 30; we take good care of our
sites. San Luis Reservoir is a site similar to Los Vaqueros that has
been used for windsurfing for many years.

For more information, please contact the SF Windsurfing Association:

    1592 Union Street, Box 301
    San Francisco, California 94123
    E-Mail: info@sfba.org-DeleteThis
    Web: http://www.sfba.org/