Re: a break in the action

From: Booker Bense (bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis)
Date: Thu Oct 30 1997 - 06:27:38 PST

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 1997 06:27:38 -0800 (PST)
From: Booker Bense <bbense@networking.stanford.edu-DeleteThis>
To: Multiple recipients of list <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: Re: a break in the action

On Wed, 29 Oct 1997, Bilbo Innovations, Inc. wrote:

> Do we need quick release bindings instead of foot straps?
> Downhill bindings do perfect job. The forces after a 40m (120ft) long
> jump at 120 km/h (70mph) are enormous, but the bindings hold.

- If you believe that downhill racers bindings "release with a slight
twist", I have some prime Florida real estate that you might be
interested in.

> However,
> a light twist, and the ski is released. I do not believe Marker or
> Rossignol cannot develop something similar for us. Shall we ask them?

- Breakaway straps have been tried a couple of times and have been
drastic failures. It took the ski industry 20 years to make a workable
release binding. I'm not saying that it's impossible, but ski
bindings have improved greatly in the last 10 years and people still
break their legs.

- In the meantime I think the best thing we can do for strap safety is
to use them as "toe" straps, not foot straps. You shouldn't be able to
stick your foot in farther than the ball of your foot. If you can't
lift your heel easily, then your foot is too far into the strap. You
want to strap the ball of your foot to the board, not the arch. Think
telemark binding, not alpine. Not many people have their straps set up
this way. You lose a little control, alot less with good deckpads, but
you're much safer. It also improves your jibes, you have to turn the
board with knee bend, not ankle flex.

- Booker C. Bense : bbense@stanford.edu-DeleteThis