(no subject)

From: justin@infoscape.com-DeleteThis
Date: Sun Oct 05 1997 - 10:45:36 PDT

From: justin@infoscape.com-DeleteThis
Date: Sun, 5 Oct 97 10:45:36 -0700
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis, amir.khosrowshahi@gs.com-DeleteThis, jr@mcm.com-DeleteThis

ken@netdynamics.com-DeleteThis, luba@apple.com-DeleteThis, brian_disilvestro@securecomputing.com-DeleteThis
Subject: Huge Scotts...

Scott's was HUGE.

The day started off quite badly as I did not know that you "do not try
to cut out of the wave unless you SURE there is nothing behind you."
On my second wave, I cut out only to have a huge set come down on me.

I got hammered. I held on to my gear, but my mast track pulled out of my
board (Bic Saxo 265). I try swimming in with my rig, but after a while, it gets away
from me. I try swimming after it (nuts, ehh?). After diving under
about 10 waves and not getting too close, I start thinking about
drowning and give up on the rig. Eventually, I washed to the beach and
so did my rig.

After that ordeal, I almost gave up.

I talked a bit to Ian Boyd. He gave me some encouragement, and I got
my Mutant 8'11.

I timed a good lull, made it out and rode a couple of waves into the
beach.

I'll never forget the last wave I took. The bottom keep dropping, and
dropping, and dropping. I made a couple of turns and said to myself
"GET THE HELL OUT OF HERE." I straightened out and started pumping
like mad for the beach. The white water was mast high! The sound was
like thunder. At one point, I was only about 5 feet in front of the
wall of destruction behind me. Would the wave kill the wind? Pump.
Pump. Luckily, I stayed in front and rode safely to shore. Yee haw!

I saw at least two shredded sails. Ian even broke his mast.

--
Justin Gordon                           Internet: justin@infoscape.com-DeleteThis
Infoscape, Inc                          Phone:    415-537-3771

Stop SPAM! Help extend the federal law banning junk faxes to ban junk email as well -> http://www.cauce.org