10/4: Carnage @ Waddell

From: Scott Winkler (stwinkle@ix.netcom.com-DeleteThis)
Date: Sat Oct 04 1997 - 20:09:05 PDT

Date: Sat, 04 Oct 1997 20:09:05 -0700
To: wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis
From: Scott Winkler <stwinkle@ix.netcom.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: 10/4: Carnage @ Waddell

COTW 1:00pm report 25k at Waddell. Immediately dropped all house projects,
loaded wave gear including battered beanie cap and eased the wheezing
subaru over the hill. Arrived at the dust-filled parking lot and noted
signifigant swell and gusting wind. Rigged 5.3/8'9"enduro and launched
during an apparent swell lull. Got outside with a minor rinsing,
jibed w/ marginal speed, then began slogging home. Over my right
shoulder a mast-high, shark-infested sea monster was headed towards me.
I pumped furiously, but, alas, a great white grabbed my fin and the monster
launched me into the full industrial-strength rinse cycle. The monster's
younger brothers wandered by, and repeated the process. Eventually I
hauled up on the beach, rested a moment and then remembered that I'd come
to the beach with gear. Located said gear, did the 200 yard walk of shame
rested a moment, and re-launched, wondering if I'd told my wife where
I'd gone. The wind picked up a bit, and I planed outside, jibed
and coasted in, caught hold of a monster's back, and while I by no means
tamed in, it was an exhilerating ride in. Repeated the process a few
more times, and retired to the safety of the beach. I couldn't help
but notice the monsters' toll; at least 3 masts and 1 sail.

Home and in 1-peace.

Scott Winkler
415 917-9674 (hm)
408 863-7260 (wk)