RE: Getting into the straps...

From: David Veach (veach@LANQuest.COM-DeleteThis)
Date: Tue Aug 12 1997 - 10:07:23 PDT

From: David Veach <veach@LANQuest.COM-DeleteThis>
To: "'wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis'" <wind_talk@opus.hpl.hp.com-DeleteThis>
Subject: RE: Getting into the straps...
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 1997 10:07:23 -0700

Have you tried back foot first? About 3 years ago I was in the same place you
are, getting frustrated because I could get the front foot in but as soon as I
lifted the back foot to put it in the strap, I'd loose control. I don't know
what the _proper_ method is but I found that with the back foot in first I could
control the board and take my time with the front foot. You can sail with just
the back foot in waiting for the proper moment to put in the front foot with good
control and your much less likely to get launched. Others may have a different
opinion but this seems to work best for me.

I've also found that sometimes you can use the swell to your advantage,
particularly when the wind is light and you loose your plane while getting in the
straps. I'll get one foot in then point the board down the face of a nice swell
using it to maintain board speed while I stick the other foot in and plane away.
Of course this usually only works in one direction and of course not much help at
candlestick. :)

I also found that if I make sure I've got as much of my weight on the sail it helps
a lot. This will help keep the board on plane and also help keep the board from
rounding up with either foot first. If your getting frustrated, try a different
approach and keep experimenting.

hope this helps -dv

David L. Veach LANQuest
EMail: veach@lanquest.com-DeleteThis